Monday, March 21, 2016

Busy week ahead...

Busy week this week.  MRI tomorrow, Tuesday - first MRI in this post-operative period.  Have to be at the medical center at 615am.  On Wednesday we sit with Dr. Penar, my neurosurgeon, take a look at the MRI and see what he has to say about the surgery itself.  That will be the first time we've seen him since the week I was at the UVM Medical Center.  On Thursday, there's a long appointment with the radiation people.  They will fashion a face mask for me that will be used to hold my head firmly and stationary and in the same place for each of the radiation treatments.  I think we'll do a run through of what the treatments will be like and we'll get those scheduled.  What I do know is they will be for about twenty minutes a piece, five days a week, for six weeks.  When they will start, I do not know.  Soon, is what I do know.

Just as a reminder, we are doing radiation because going into this procedure we knew the surgeons were not going to be able to remove all the tumor tissue.  We all wanted to play it conservatively and not damage my optic nerves or any part of the pituitary structures.  Needless to say, Ann and I will know a lot more at the end of the week than I do right now about what we are looking at in terms of what needs to be cleaned up and how well we think we are going to be able to do that.  Best news today was confirmation that the tissue sample was indeed benign.  Yay!!!

Again, thanks for staying tuned in.  Your presence continues to mean a great deal to me.   I remain pretty much pain free and most of those stitches have fallen away.  Very unimpressive zipper now. And yes, I've set my alarm for tomorrow morning!

5 comments:

  1. All that seems to make sense. Great news on the biopsy! Does the radiation treatment mean that you will glow enough to light your tuba part when you play? I hope to bask in your light again soon! Wishing you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am catching up on your journey...glad and relieved beyond words to hear your voice and positive spirit shining through. I appreciate the steady postings from both of you as I get my feet firmly planted back on Vermont ground (mud really). Bobby McFerrin brought tears, and what a space for those harmonies to fill, just amazing! Thank you for that. And thanks to all for the live current of strength and hope that surges your direction each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update. It is so good to hear about the benign tissue sample. Will keep the positive prayers and vibes coming your way through the radiation treatment. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update, Charlie. Sounds like some real work is about to begin. We are all with you for the long haul. You are always tough in the middle of the race...tougher in the stretch. Bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great update Char! Glad to hear they were correct about the tumor being benign!

    ReplyDelete